|Original 4-sq blocks connected|
Happily now, I announce...I completed all 36 blocks! With the fabrics and the design that started me down the path of quilting with high hopes, determination, but also trepidation, I have nine 18" Dresden designed blocks in my favorite color combination.
I began with the 'stack-n-whack' process of cutting with a Dresden ruler. One by one, I stitched all the blades by hand, making center points and then connecting them together in blocks of five on a 9.5 block of white. I made 36 of these blocks. I found I needed to square them before connecting 4 blocks together, making a complete bloom of blades in a circle. I breathed a sigh of relief when the blades made a smooth circle of points, evenly spaced, especially where I had to connect them.
|border planned to outline blocks|
Then, I decided to border the squares in the garnet red fabric in order to connect all 9 into one large front. I cut strips of 1 1/2 inches for this border, and last night, connected the blocks with my new Janome.
|my seams match!|
|the borders crossed exactly square!|
|connecting all nine with border|
So there's future baby steps involved to challenge this newbie to keep piecing and stitching , but the process is just that..."step by step"!
I do admit that I am finding this new path in textiles to be quite fun.