Monday, April 29, 2013

Extra Flowers and Butterflies

Shopping for tone-on-tone floral fabrics was immensely fun, but as usual, I was torn between the colors! How do you walk away with just two colors? Each bolt was so vivid and gorgeously printed.  Decision was impossible, so, along with the vivid red and blue, I came home to the cutting board with delightful cottons in green, yellow, pink, and violet.

Assembly line sewing was very easy for this block. I made a continual chain of sewn pieces, then cut them apart to press, making a new pile to connect the next pieces. Each step created a new pile, making the whole process simple and organized.

Within just a few hours, my cutting board held 44 blocks totally finished, pressed, and set aside. My red and blues were finished.

Next, I made 44 more green &violet blocks just for fun. They are vivid tones with smaller floral prints.  I'm not sure where I'll use my extra colors, but maybe I'll have enough blocks for some extra room decor to match the Butterfly Garden quilt when it is finished. I'm considering making some pillowcase sets that include quilted borders, some shams, or even some throw pillows.

I've decided to leave the pink and yellow fabrics as optional colors to add if I need more blocks for shading and finishing the landscape of my dream garden plans.

For the "landscape" of my garden, I'm dreaming of bunched shades of color. I want to create a natural display in a progressive rainbow as I would find in my actual flower garden. Hopefully, this garden will all be fenced in with a white tone on tone picket blocks trimmed with tone on tone green symbolizing grass. I've tried to draw my idea of a block design on graph paper. Now I'm assembling one sample block before I decide if I like the look surrounding my garden. My final step hopes to be a soft blue binding representing a summer sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment